Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Eclipses in the Bible
By Juliet Powell, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Flag Football Debuts on Campus
By Katie Nussbaum, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
German Exchange 2024
By Caroline Palmer, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Japan's Game Plan
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Faith, Food, and Athletics
By Kate Owens, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024

Flag Football Debuts on Campus

Set your sights on the May tryouts
Photographer: Contributed
As flag football grows in popularity, our school announces plans to field a team during the 2024-2025 school year.

Have you always wanted to play football? Are you a female and wish that you could play on the varsity football team? If so, have we got some good news for you.

For the first time in school history, there will be a varsity girls flag football team. Any interested female athlete who will be a sophomore, junior, or senior next year can try out. Tryouts will be in May. The flag football season will run from the end of fall throughout the winter.

Although the season starts in the fall, it will be considered a winter sport. The head coach will be Coach Jason Harris. 

Flag football is a thrilling sport.  Each team has seven players on the field.  Flag football players will still run, pass, and score touchdowns like in traditional football, but instead of tackling players to the ground, defenders try to remove belts of flags off of the other players’ waists.

Successfully pulling the flag off of the carrier ends the play.  Similar to football, there are four downs, but earning a first down usually requires more than 10 yards.

Key skills to have for this sport include speed, agility, hand-eye coordination for catching, and throwing, if you aspire to to the position of quarterback.

Key positions in flag football include quarterback, blocker, wide receiver, running back, and defense, all the players who try to pull off the ball carrier’s flag. 

If you find the thought of making history by playing on the first flag football team at our school, then be sure to attend May tryouts.

About the Contributor
Katie Nussbaum, Staff Writer
Katie joined the newspaper staff in the spring of 2024.