Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Eclipses in the Bible
By Juliet Powell, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Flag Football Debuts on Campus
By Katie Nussbaum, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
German Exchange 2024
By Caroline Palmer, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Japan's Game Plan
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Faith, Food, and Athletics
By Kate Owens, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024

Eclipses in the Bible

Photographer: Brian O’Connor
Students make their way to the stadium to catch the fleeting moments of the April 8 eclipse.

On April 8 as the Great North American Eclipse left the US shrouded in darkness, I stopped to wonder if solar eclipses are present in the Bible. Is it possible that prophets living 2000 years ago witnessed the same phenomenon as us?

One eclipse of the sun is described in Amos: “On that day — oracle of the Lord GOD — I will make the sun set at midday and in broad daylight cover the land with darkness” (Amos 8:9).

Although many take this verse metaphorically, it is possible that the eclipses on June 15, B.C. 763 or February 9, B.C. 784, during Amos’ time, would have been visible in the latitude of Jerusalem as a fairly large partial eclipse.

In Matthew 27:45, we find another possible reference to an eclipse: “From noon onward, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon.” Scholars have debated whether this indicates that a solar eclipse occurred on the day of the crucifixion. Others contend that a solar eclipse, which has a maximum duration of around 7 minutes, could not have lasted 3 hours.

At Pentecost, Peter describes the crucifixion, saying, “The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the coming of the great and splendid day of the Lord” (Acts 2:20).

According to Nasa, this verse could refer to a lunar eclipse, during which the Moon takes on a red hue. Therefore, many scholars place the crucifixion on Friday, April 3, 33 C.E. because of the lunar eclipse which occurred on that day.

Revelation Ch. 6 includes the opening of the first six seals, each of which preludes an apocalyptic event prophesied at the second coming: “Then I watched while he broke open the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; the sun turned as black as dark sackcloth and the whole moon became like blood” (Rev. 6:12).

The description of the sun and a blood-red moon predicts that a total solar eclipse or lunar eclipse may occur at the second coming.

About the Contributor
Juliet Powell
Juliet Powell, Staff Writer
Juliet joined the newspaper staff in the fall of 2023, and she is so excited to write stories for The Blue & Gold! She is a swimmer on the varsity team, French Club officer, and a member of many other clubs. When she’s not at school, Juliet can be found at the pool, on a hike, or watching Survivor with her family. Juliet loves writing short stories based on her favorite Taylor Swift songs, and she is fascinated with eco-poetry. In the future, she plans to continue writing about what she loves in high school and beyond.