Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Golf Calls for Personal Drive
By Clara Laskowski, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
WWJD: Not Just a Jewelry Trend
By Camille Gipson, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
Meet Centro Hispano Marista
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • Apr 4, 2024

Shining a Light on Pole Vaulting

The pole vaulting team prepares to take on the season this spring
Several members of the pole vaulting crew celebrate the end of another important competition.

The Marist pole vaulting team has been working hard the past few weeks in preparation for their first meet this spring. This year the Marist pole vault team will take a select few of its athletes to the GHSA 6A Track and Field State Meet, which falls on May 4, 2024.

The main idea of pole vaulting is to be able to use a flexible pole and jump over a certain height marked with a bar. In a competition, the athlete is given three chances to get over the bar or clear that height. Whoever clears the highest bar is the winner of that competition.

The act of pole vaulting is a routine that must be memorized, practiced, and repeated multiple times. The team typically meets at the pole vault pit each day at 4:00 P.M. After warming up and stretching, they work on their mechanics and motions using the pole. Following that part of practice, they combine their mechanics and jumps to practice clearing heights.

Led by Coach Olga Kirillova, the varsity and JV pole vaulting team is a crucial part to the track and field team with impressive and hardworking athletes. Last year, these athletes helped bring home points at the 2023 state meet for the girls track and field team to finish in third place.

Ansley Cho competes in a pole vaulting competition away from campus.

Though rewarding, it is agreed the sport of pole vaulting comes with its challenges. Student Mia PereaBerdiel, a pole vaulter at our school, said, “The worst part of the sport is how mentally challenging it is.” Due to its focus on individual performance, pole vaulting is rooted in comparison, which can lead to mental strain on the athletes.

Despite being an individual focused sport, student Jack Guhl talked about how close the team is. He said, “Our team goes out to eat together sometimes after practice, especially on the days before a meet.” This close bond is many of the athletes’ favorite part of this challenging sport. 

During the 2023 season, student Ansley Cho was ranked second in Georgia for freshman girls and thirty-eighth in the US for 9th grade girls with a PR of 11’3″.  Also during the 2023 season, PereaBerdiel was ranked 6th for freshman girls in Georgia and 123rd in the US for 9th grade girls.

About the Contributor
Clara Laskowski
Clara Laskowski, Staff Writer
Clara Laskowski joined the newspaper staff as a sophomore in 2023 because she loves writing. Clara runs cross country and track for Marist and is a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Outside of school, Clara loves spending time with friends, listening to music, and spending time with her family. Her dream vacation is a trip to Greece.