Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Golf Calls for Personal Drive
By Clara Laskowski, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
WWJD: Not Just a Jewelry Trend
By Camille Gipson, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
Meet Centro Hispano Marista
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • Apr 4, 2024

Spanish Club Celebrates the Wider World

This club welcomes everyone while spreading the joys of Hispanic culture.
Members of the Spanish Club gather below the banner that welcomes everyone to the celebration.

Some may look forward to Spanish Club for the delicious snacks that come along with the meetings, but this group has more than tacos and churros to offer.

From their meaningful book drive in December to their Hispanic Heritage Month celebration, the Spanish Club is spreading Latin culture in the most enjoyable ways possible. One might even call it ¡divertido!

Led by co-presidents Nicole Barrios and Becca Jose, the club aims to teach the student body about different cultures in Spanish speaking countries while creating an unforgettable experience for all members.

Nicole Barrios joined Spanish Club as an eighth grader, and her enthusiasm has never wavered. “The club is the most memorable experience during activity periods” Barrios said. For Jose, the club’s welcoming atmosphere is what makes it special. “It’s the loving environment and all of the new friends [she] made.” she said.

This club has no shortage of enthusiastic students willing to help out at its events.

All five Spanish teachers are involved in Spanish Club, helping organize the events planned by the officers. Getting to know the teachers is an added bonus. “They are the most genuine people you will ever meet,” Barrios said. From learning in class to chatting during tutorials, the Spanish Department welcomes everyone.

The club’s first event of the year happened on October 12th. The annual Hispanic Heritage Block Party returned stronger than ever, with exciting activities such as limbo, dominos, and dancing. Delicious empanadas, pastelitos, and chips and salsa were also available.

Looking ahead, the club will be holding five more events this school year, the soonest being the Fiesta para Día de los Muertos on October 27. Jose believes that the club’s events excite a lot of people because of all of the “activities, food, and traditions incorporated.”

The 2023-2024 school year will be no different. Spanish Club continues to be one of our school’s most popular clubs as they help spread awareness for Hispanic and Latino culture across our campus.

About the Contributor
Ella Weber
Ella Weber, Staff Writer
Ella Weber joined The Blue and Gold her freshman year because she loves writing about her interests. She channels her academic interests into several clubs, including the Spanish Club and the Marist Law Society. Ella runs cross country and enjoys playing her guitar and piano to the songs of her favorite singer, Taylor Swift. In her free time, Ella likes reading a variety of books and napping.