Schooling From Home Tips

Photographer: Alexis Derickson

Alexis recommends keeping a tidy and organized workplace when you are at home!

By Alexis Derickson, Senior Managing Editor

With everyone quarantined right now to protect themselves and others from the coronavirus, a unique problem has been presented to students: how to have school from home. As easy as it is to slug through our days, it is now more important than ever to establish a new routine that aids us in staying sane and maintaining a productive, healthy mindset to get us through these tough times. Keep on reading for my top 10 tips on how to make schooling from home a more positive experience!

1. Establish a sleep routine. As much as I may like to stay up until 3 a.m., I definitely notice how much more energetic and ready to take on the day I am when I go to bed at a decent hour.
  2. Take a stretch break between classes. Staying on my phone in between classes always makes me feel tired and sore from sitting for hours straight. Instead, I get up and move around or even follow a quick yoga routine on YouTube!
  3. Get outside! Nature and fresh air help a lot with mental clarity. If I have a free period, I like to go outside for a run or bike ride to clear my head, and this leaves me feeling much more focused for my next class.
  4. Find a new recipe for lunch. Since we’re all at home, now is the perfect time to take advantage of how much more time we have to make our favorite meals we normally wouldn’t be able to take to school, or to try something completely new.
  5. Get creative. I always hear some of my friends saying they’re “not good at art,” but art is oftentimes more about the simple process of creating than the end product. Whether it’s painting, writing, photography, or anything in between, use art as a therapeutic outlet during this time.
  6. Meditate. At first, meditation can be a challenge because it may be difficult to calm and focus your thoughts. But once you get the hang of it, meditation can be the perfect tool for finding peace of mind and clearing your head of your struggles. If you don’t know where to start, just look up a short 5-10 minute video on YouTube and follow along!
  7. Organize your space. For many, a clean space equals a clear mind. It can help you focus on tasks at hand if you tidy up your space and clean places that you might not have had time to arrange earlier. Or, take this tip to the next level by rearranging your room or re-decorating with fresh plants, new pictures, or whatever suits your fancy. It’s a fantastic way to pass the time, too!
  8. Put on some clothes other than pajamas and get out of bed. Changing into something that’s a little more presentable, even if no one sees you in that outfit, helps you feel so much more productive and like you are getting something out of your day beyond sleeping.
  9. Make a gratitude log. It can be easy and understandable to find the negatives in the world right now, but try to reflect every day on the good things that have happened to you and the blessings in your life to shift your mindset.
  10. Find new ways to stay social. We all need human interaction to survive, and talking with friends and family can be a major mood booster. Create unique ways to stay in touch with those you aren’t quarantined with, whether it’s FaceTiming your friends at lunch, organizing to drive to the same location and talk to each other from your car trunks, or sit outside to talk six feet apart or more in your driveway.