Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Eclipses in the Bible
By Juliet Powell, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Flag Football Debuts on Campus
By Katie Nussbaum, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
German Exchange 2024
By Caroline Palmer, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Japan's Game Plan
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Faith, Food, and Athletics
By Kate Owens, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024

Three Seniors Reflect on Their Newspaper Experiences

Photographer: Brian O’Connor
Senior Beck Janki wrote the front page story in the 2023 spring print edition of The Blue & Gold, which explored the selection of JD Childs as our school’s newest president.

Over these past four years in The Blue and Gold, I have loved my experience of growing as a writer and learning more about different aspects of our campus. I focused on writing articles about athletic games and teams, and I have had the opportunity to highlight teams of my own, like girls’ soccer, as well as how our student body supports mental health at football games. Something I love about Marist is how much our student body shows up for each other. By writing for the newspaper, I have gotten to show my own support for my teammates and peers. Next year, I will miss writing about people who I know personally, since it will be nearly impossible to know star athletes at Notre Dame personally. But at Marist, these stellar athletes were my own friends, and I will greatly miss showing off their accomplishments.

—Alex Treanor

While taking the Journalism class my junior year, I was introduced to writing for the newspaper. After writing stories for the spring print edition, including the front page piece about Mr. Childs’ hiring as the new President, I was delighted to get the opportunity of becoming a co-editor for the organization my senior year. A year later, I have been pleased to grow my relationships with those in athletics, campus ministry, counseling, and many more in my work to publish stories for the paper. As a result of those relationships, I have been blessed to tell the story of others who work so hard to make this community great, and I am honored that my creativity was a small part of recognizing those individuals and organizations. The newspaper has taught me there is always someone or something to highlight, and a story in everything.

—Beck Janki

My favorite part of The Blue and Gold is learning more about our campus. Through the newspaper, I explored sports, retreats, clubs, and other school activities that I otherwise would never have experienced. This newspaper has broadened my horizons and showed me the amount of talent our student body possesses. From tennis players to ninth grade retreat leaders, our school is filled with leaders, athletes, intellects, and so much more. Without the newspaper, I would never have uncovered the secrets of Student Council or the amount of work that went into virtual learning. The newspaper taught me to stay curious, stay hungry for knowledge, and to always stay interested. My favorite article I wrote was about Easter traditions. I loved using my curiosity to learn more about different ways members of our community celebrate Easter. For me, newspaper has been a creative outlet, a learning experience, and a place to cultivate my love for writing. I will miss it.

—Stella Chambless

About the Contributors
Alex Treanor
Alex Treanor, Public Relations
Alex joined The Blue and Gold her freshman year because she has always enjoyed writing. It provides her with a creative outlet. In addition to The Blue and Gold, Alex plays varsity soccer and loves to cook. Her favorite class was either AP Chemistry or AP Literature, and she plans to major in chemistry in college.
Beck Janki
Beck Janki, Editor
Beck Janki joined the newspaper staff in his junior year due to his love for journalism and an interest in the space past high school. Beck is the kicker for the football team and a broadcaster for MBC in the winter and spring. Beck enjoys watching sports and is a passionate Ohio sports fan. Beck plans to choose a path in business after his senior year.
Stella Chambless
Stella Chambless, Public Relations
Stella joined The Blue and Gold in 2020 to inform and interest the Marist student body. Outside of writing, she enjoys running for the cross country and track teams. She is also an avid reader, and her favorite book is Beloved by Toni Morrison.