Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Eclipses in the Bible
By Juliet Powell, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Flag Football Debuts on Campus
By Katie Nussbaum, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
German Exchange 2024
By Caroline Palmer, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Japan's Game Plan
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Faith, Food, and Athletics
By Kate Owens, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024

Making a Team With Girls JV Soccer

Hear some player opinions about this season’s soccer team
Photographer: Contributed
The JV girls soccer team enjoyed another productive season.

The JV girls soccer team is composed of both freshman and sophomores. The team faced many tough and undefeated competitors this year, such as Walton High School.

Starting near the beginning of Term 3 and playing a game almost every week, the team recently ended their season with a final victory. Let’s hear from some of the players and coaches behind that success.

Charlotte Saporito, a freshman on the team, shared some insight into what made her teammates so great. “They encourage me to do better,” Saporito said. “Not only is everyone on my team really good, they are also actually nice.”

Saporito’s top goals this year were to develop as a player and to win state, which is always a goal of any War Eagles team that hits the field. Playing for both Marist and TOPHAT soccer, Saporito shared that soccer field is “a calming environment,” and it’s a place where she says she can “take her mind off of the stress of school.”

The team was led by Coach David Negus. Negus shared his ultimate goal for any team that comes together during the spring to enjoy a competitive season of soccer.  “I want the players to come together as a team and play well,” Negus said.

This attitude was the overall consensus of the players interviewed. It is clear that their comradery drove them to be better players on the field but also to be better people everyday.

Let’s hope for another successful season next year and that their exemplary sportsmanship sets the precedent for all of JV girls soccer seasons to come.

About the Contributor
London Dinh, Staff Writer
London Dinh joined the staff her freshman and first year at Marist in 2023 for her love of investigation and hearing other people's points of view. As someone who loves advancing her academic career, exploring different interest to better her community, she is part of multiple clubs, including the academic team, AAPI, Habitat for Humanity, Share the Journey, and many more.