Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Eclipses in the Bible
By Juliet Powell, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Flag Football Debuts on Campus
By Katie Nussbaum, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
German Exchange 2024
By Caroline Palmer, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Japan's Game Plan
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Faith, Food, and Athletics
By Kate Owens, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024

A Successful 2024 Track Season

Track athletes have a phenomenal year
Photographer: Maggie Briesacher
Casey Czerniawski executes a beautiful high jump. Czerniawski was a 2024 State Meet qualifier in High Jump and achieved the third best jump in school history.

This year, the varsity track team had a successful season, with phenomenal placings in the regional events and coaches that helped to make the sport a great experience for all.

I talked to Martin Laughlin, a sophomore team member who participated in the high jump events throughout the course of the season.

“The season was good,” Laughlin said, adding that there were plenty of fun spots throughout the season.

One of these “fun spots” was during the regional championships, in which the varsity sprinters won first place overall. Additionally, individual runners performed well in the Region 4 GHSA meet, with Liam Hanemann finishing victorious in the 800 meter run with a time of one minute and 55 seconds.

Also achieving good results were Tommy Latham, Liam Hanemann, and Andrew Stricklin in the 1600 meter race, in which they won top three in the event.

As for the girls, Maeve Waddell won her event in the 3200 run, while the girls relays did extremely well.

The 4 x 400 relay team won second place, and the 4 x 800 relay team won their event.

The pole vault team swept their events with Ansley Cho, Mia Perea Berdiel, and Rachel Walker coming in first, second, and third place, respectively, all finishing far ahead of their competitors.

Varsity long jumper Bruck Getachew launches himself over the line as his teammates look on. (Photographer: Maggie Briesacher)

For Laughlin, he said he “did well in the middle of the season, then struggled a bit with his form.”

It all turned out for the best, however, as Laughlin eventually finished 5th overall in the region, earning the opportunity to qualify for an alternate position for the sectional meets.

One member of the track coaching staff Laughlin gave special thanks to was Coach Matthew McMurray. “He was a huge help and he did a lot to support everyone, even though he wasn’t my event coach,” Laughlin said.

Overall, the track season went wonderfully for all the athletes and coaches involved. They all put forth much effort during the season to ensure that the athletes had a successful season.

About the Contributor
John Elrod, Editor
John Elrod is a member of The Blue & Gold newspaper, having joined during his sophomore year. In addition to his involvement in the newspaper, he has earned a letter as a member of the swim team and is a member of the newly formed water polo team. Outside of these activities, he is a member of the Spanish Club and is active in community service. In his free time, he enjoys walking his dog, reading, and spending his summers as a YMCA Camp High Harbour counselor.