Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Eclipses in the Bible
By Juliet Powell, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Flag Football Debuts on Campus
By Katie Nussbaum, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
German Exchange 2024
By Caroline Palmer, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Japan's Game Plan
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024
Faith, Food, and Athletics
By Kate Owens, Staff Writer • May 28, 2024

Mary Magdalene, the “Hidden Apostle”

What is known about this well known female disciple of Jesus?
Photographer: Contributed

Out of the many followers of Jesus, the ones most frequently called to mind are the twelve apostles: Peter, John, James the Greater, James the Lesser, Philip, Bartholomew, Thomas, Simon the Zealot, Judas Thaddeus, Matthew, Andrew, and Judas Iscariot, or Matthias, who replaced him.

But did you know that there was actually another disciple, a woman who followed Jesus throughout almost his entire ministry, even to his death?

Not much is known about Mary Magdalene’s life. In fact, she is only mentioned in three canonical gospels, those of Mark, Matthew, and Luke, but never in John. Her epithet “Magdalene” likely means she was originally from the land of Magdala.

It is commonly accepted that before meeting Jesus, Mary Magdalene was a prostitute or an otherwise promiscuous woman. When Jesus comes upon her, she is possessed by seven evil spirits. After he drives them away, Mary Magdalene follows Jesus and the apostles, even financially supporting the rest of his ministry along with other women, such as Joanna, Susanna, and Salome.

When grouped with them, Mary is usually mentioned firstly, which might suggest she is the most important out of all the women.

Along with Mary, Jesus’ mother, John the Apostle, and the other women, Mary Magdalene also witnessed the crucifixion, and was the first to see Jesus alive after the resurrection.

After Jesus ascended, Mary Magdalene’s exact path is unknown. She might have become a preacher, or she might have retreated into solitude for thirty years, a possibility proposed by the non-canonical text the Golden Legend.

The grotto where Mary may have spent the rest of her life is in the mountain ridge of Sainte-Baume, and it is a popular pilgrimage site. Other legends involving Mary include that of her long hair which she used to wipe Jesus’s feet and her association with red Easter eggs, which she used to prove the resurrection.

Mary Magdalene is patron saint of many things, including apothecaries, hairdressers, perfumeries, pharmacies, penitent sinners, women, and people ridiculed for their piety.

About the Contributor
Emma Schramm
Emma Schramm, Staff Writer
Emma Schramm began writing for the The Blue & Gold newspaper in her freshman year and has enjoyed it thoroughly ever since. She is also part of the Marist War Eagle Marching Band and theater production crew. In the meantime, Emma is probably drawing or feverishly negotiating with the publishing industry to get her novel published.