Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Golf Calls for Personal Drive
By Clara Laskowski, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
WWJD: Not Just a Jewelry Trend
By Camille Gipson, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
Meet Centro Hispano Marista
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • Apr 4, 2024

On Track for Continued Success

The track team represents our school through their success and unmatched camaraderie
Photographer: Kate Owens
Members of the track and field team gather on the track next to Centennial Center for a photo.

If there’s one thing the track and field program knows well, it is success. Track and field is legendary here at our school with 9 state titles and 6 runner-up finishes, as well as over 15 Division 1 athletes since 2018.

Still on fire after bringing home the cross country state title in the fall, the distance team, led by Coach Clark Rivers, is set to have a very successful season. In preparation for the season, they have been running in freezing temperatures since the beginning of December and traveled to Alabama for an indoor preseason meet, where personal records abounded.

The rest of the team, including the sprinters, pole vaulters, high jumpers, long jumpers, and more, have already set 34 personal records in their first meet.

Track is not only a physical sport that involves constant training but also a mental sport involving determination and perseverance. Student Caroline Rogers, a top freshman distance runner, explains her enthusiasm for the sport. “My favorite part about track is running in the race, when I actually get to see where my hard work has gotten me,” Rogers said.

Truly representing what it means to be a student-athlete, members of the track and field team are disciplined, resilient, and fearless leaders.

Additionally, the team camaraderie is unmatched. Whether it is celebrating after the state competition with a team frozen yogurt outing, buying matching slippers at Buc-ee’s after a travel meet, or having the same people by your side every day to train with, track and field builds a welcoming environment where teammates always have each others’ backs and form lifelong friendships.

About the Contributor
Kate Owens
Kate Owens, Staff Writer
Kate Owens, a new member of the The Blue & Gold staff, is excited to share her love of writing with Marist. She is organized, hard working, and kind to others. In her free time, Kate enjoys spending time with family and friends, drawing, baking, and traveling. She is a student council representative, runs cross country, and plays soccer and basketball. In the future, Kate sees herself working either in event planning or marketing.