Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

The American Dream Unfulfilled
By Luke Childs, Staff Writer • Apr 28, 2024
Golf Calls for Personal Drive
By Clara Laskowski, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
WWJD: Not Just a Jewelry Trend
By Camille Gipson, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
Meet Centro Hispano Marista
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • Apr 4, 2024

Speech & Debate Wins State — Once Again

In another defining moment, speech and debate team clinches the state competition
Photographer: Contributed
William Mastella and Kaitlyn Escayg prepare for the upcoming Carrollton tournament, which took place in November 2023.

The debate team has done it again by bringing home another state championship title. This victory marks the fourth consecutive season that our school has brought home a state championship.

Unlike other academic teams at our school, speech and debate is an activity designed to provide a platform for different types of competitions, from public address to categories like spontaneous argumentation and parliamentary debates.

Speech and debate also encourages students to research current issues. It emphasizes a focus on teamwork and leadership. Student Charlie Parker shared his interests in the world of debate. “I enjoy debate because I get to interact with people from different schools and hang out with people in between rounds,” he said.

There are many different ways to become involved with debate. The first step is to take the class during Term 1. Students in grades 7, 8, and 9 can take the class, which teaches the proper understanding of what speech and debate is all about.

Debate Coach Jeffery Miller is extremely proud of his team and their overall performance this season.

Miller explained the role that his classes play in our school’s larger debate program. “I walk students through how to compete in different activities,” he said. If a student’s interest continues after taking these introductory course, they are allowed to try and compete for a spot on the debate team, which potentially leads to the state competition.

Miller compared debate to track and field. “Debate is similar to track and field; just because you are on the track team doesn’t mean you run,” he said.

Debate is a year round commitment, but most of the debates are held in the fall and winter months.

This year’s team had the most students rank Top 3 in their events at the state tournament in the history of the program.

About the Contributor
Reese Sullivan
Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer
Reese joined the newspaper staff during her junior year because of her love for contributing to culture and literature. At Marist, Reese plays on the varsity soccer team, helps out as a Grade Level Coordinator, and is on the board for Habitat for Humanity. Her hobbies include reading, traveling, and baking. In the future, Reese hopes to become a sports marketer.