Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Golf Calls for Personal Drive
By Clara Laskowski, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
WWJD: Not Just a Jewelry Trend
By Camille Gipson, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
Meet Centro Hispano Marista
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • Apr 4, 2024

Exploring the Emmaus Experience

Students deepen their connections with each other on the Emmaus Retreat
Students take the time to strengthen their relationship with God.

The 200th Emmaus Retreat began on Friday, January 12 as juniors and seniors departed from campus that afternoon. Two hours and 115 miles later, the bus finally arrived at the Blessed Trinity Retreat Center and Shrine in Ft. Mitchell, Alabama.

The Emmaus Retreat is a staple of student life at our school because of its religious and social elements that unite the junior and senior classes. Throughout the retreat, students were eager to reconnect with God, themselves, and build connections with others.

The Emmaus Retreat offers a lifechanging experience, which allows students to strengthen relationships and become more involved in the school community. Junior Parker Steedman, who recently attended the Emmaus Retreat, shared her thoughts. “I also got close with people outside of my small group because, without devices, I felt like everyone was more social than back at home,” she said.

In Steedman’s positive reflection over her time on this retreat, Parker found herself looking to become more involved in senior Emmaus next year. “I definitely want to attend and possibly lead an Emmaus Retreat my senior year. I had such a great time, and I would love to share my experience with new people,” she said.

One of the retreat teams shares their dance with the other retreat goers.

Even though Emmaus student leaders dedicated much of their time to planning and attending meetings, many saw this as a truly rewarding experience.

A current Emmaus student leader, Paris Dinh, shared her experience. “I am super excited to lead my retreat. I’ve heard it is such a different experience compared to going on it, and, seeing all the pictures from previous retreats, this year makes me miss the retreat center and how fun parts of my retreat were,” she said.

The Emmaus Retreat is a highly interactive and emotionally intensive weekend.

In order for the Emmaus Retreat to become a reality, it took great effort on behalf of students from the Student Leadership Board and the Director of Campus Ministry, Brian Freel. Along with Freel, religion teacher Dr. Kathryn Hamrlik and math teacher Pamela Kinzly also sacrificed the hours needed to cultivate this electrifying retreat.

A lot has evolved since the twenty students who attended the first Emmaus Retreat in 1978. Unlike recent Emmaus Retreats, the first retreat was held at Camp Mikell in Toccoa, Georgia.

Every school year, around two-hundred students participate in the Emmaus Retreat. This popularity proves the Emmaus Retreat to be a foundational experience for nearly the entire junior and senior classes.

Nearly fifty juniors and seniors attended this most recent retreat.

About the Contributor
Reese Sullivan
Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer
Reese joined the newspaper staff during her junior year because of her love for contributing to culture and literature. At Marist, Reese plays on the varsity soccer team, helps out as a Grade Level Coordinator, and is on the board for Habitat for Humanity. Her hobbies include reading, traveling, and baking. In the future, Reese hopes to become a sports marketer.