Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Golf Calls for Personal Drive
By Clara Laskowski, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
WWJD: Not Just a Jewelry Trend
By Camille Gipson, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
Meet Centro Hispano Marista
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • Apr 4, 2024

Purple Out for Mental Health

Photographer: Shutterstock

Nearly 19% of high school students have seriously contemplated suicide, according to the Jed Foundation.
Nineteen percent!

That translates to almost 1 in 5 adolescents, which includes our school peers.

Despite the widespread nature of these challenges, however, a stigma continues to surround mental health, which prevents many students from reaching out for help.

In an effort to raise awareness for mental health, students of all grades flooded North Atlanta’s stadium with purple for the October 19th football game.

The purple represents hope, support, and encouragement, all of which are important parts of the solution towards mental health issues.

Mental health issues stem from pressure. Whether it’s from parents, friends, or schoolwork, such pressure should be taken seriously. It is not embarrassing to talk to a counselor or to take a break from homework for a night.

When placed on the other side of the very serious issue of mental health, try to be the friend who asks if someone is truly okay and follow up with people if they say they’re feeling depressed. Small exchanges of kindness may not mean much to you, but they could mean the difference between life and death for someone else.

Don’t just wear purple to advocate for better mental health. Go out into the world and make it a reality.

About the Contributor
Alex Treanor
Alex Treanor, Public Relations
Alex joined The Blue and Gold her freshman year because she has always enjoyed writing. It provides her with a creative outlet. In addition to The Blue and Gold, Alex plays varsity soccer and loves to cook. Her favorite class was either AP Chemistry or AP Literature, and she plans to major in chemistry in college.