Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Reporting the news since 1914

The Blue & Gold

Golf Calls for Personal Drive
By Clara Laskowski, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
WWJD: Not Just a Jewelry Trend
By Camille Gipson, Staff Writer • Apr 9, 2024
Meet Centro Hispano Marista
By Reese Sullivan, Staff Writer • Apr 4, 2024

A Home Run Season

Fun traditions enhance this team’s performance on the field of play
Photographer: Maggie Briesacher
The varsity softball team gathers around home plate to celebrate another run.

Beginning their practices on July 31, the Marist softball team had an excellent season. Throughout fall and summer, the girls practiced and played on the Marist softball field. Their record was 23 wins, 10 losses, and 1 tie.

The team is very tight-knit and enjoy many fun traditions during the regular season and playoffs. One only needs to visit the team’s Instagram page —including its 270-people follwing—to find a collection of senior shout-outs and player interviews using a mini microphone.
What the Instagram page and the fun traditions don’t reveal, however, is this team’s tremendous work ethic and their reluctance to let any practice, warm-up, or game go to waste.

Softball super regionals were located on the Marist softball field during the school day. According to Mary Catherine Stanley, the Veterans Game was especially fun because many teachers allowed students to leave class to watch. “The energy was awesome,” Stanley said.

The team does many different types of practices. Julia Nackley’s has her favorites. “Situational drills that help for the game and Friday yoga with Ms. Eaglen,” Nackley’s said. Mary Stanley said that the team also occasionally has practices without coaches, which helps them to bond as a team.

The fun tradition, however, don’t stop at the Instragram page. One is decorating the locker room for senior night, which, according to Stanley, is “so much fun for the juniors and underclassmen to stay late” and is always exciting to see the seniors’ reactions. Another tradition that Nackley loves is dance parties in the locker room before region games. A few dance steps helps to alleviate the pressure of the big game.

The softball team had a batting average of .374 this year, which is higher than Nicky Lopez’s .277 average—and Lopez has the highest average of all the players on the Atlanta Braves.

Junior Kennedy Mosley led the team in home runs this year, with 19 total.

Overall, the team had a fantastic season and can’t wait for next fall.

About the Contributor
Cosette Lane
Cosette Lane, Editor
Cosette Lane joined the newspaper staff as a sophomore in 2022 because of her love for writing and researching. Cosette runs cross country and track at Marist and is an officer of Habitat for Humanity. Outside of school, Cosette loves reading, listening to music (especially Taylor Swift), spending time with friends, and babysitting. Her dream vacation is a relaxing and adventurous trip to Italy.