The Life of Mary and the Marist Way

The Marist way is defined as “living the Gospel as Mary did.” Mary’s life was a model of balancing kindness, faith, and integrity. She spent her life helping to support others and extending hands of grace to those who needed spiritual or physical assistance.

While students and faculty lead busy lives, everyone at Marist has a call to think, judge, feel, and act like Mary did, and to live out her ideals day-to-day. 

Although 2000 years have passed, service still helps all of us to fulfill our spiritual call. Direct service allows people to connect to others around them and to remember that everyone is made in the image and likeness of God, regardless of their personal characteristics or stature. That is why our school requires students to fulfill direct service once each year.

Mary was a prime model of discipleship, and was connected with the people around her. She understood the importance of community and her obligation to aid those in need.

Marist School itself is a community, and we place importance on recognizing and helping the community that surrounds us, as Mary did.

Marist encourages students to embody Mary’s actions with 40 hours of community service between 9th and 12th grade in order to graduate. Marist also gives students access to a selection of service projects, thanks to Mrs. Ujda’s weekly emails of service opportunities.

Along with these service opportunities, each grade is offered a spiritual retreat: Damascus, Antioch, Genesis, Nazareth, Galilee, or Emmaus. 

Marist School is known for its academic excellence, but we also take pride in how the students at our school apply the same degree of attention to their faith and the world around them as they do science, foreign language, or social studies.

Temptations are expected, of course, and it is normal to occasionally allow the academic pressures of school to interfere with the greater importance of being a good person. But everyone should strive to be honorable. After all, Marist recognizes prayer and service as the ultimate goal of learning.

Marist academics are designed to help all students to become smart and to gain intelligence. The Marist Way, however, is designed to help students to be wise and to use that intelligence virtuously.